Wednesday, February 24, 2016

71 வயதில் காரைக்குடியில் பாராட்டு

At Karaikudi Kamban Kazhakam 21st March 2013.

The event started at 1700 hrs when we started assembling at the hall.
Few meters away, at the Temle of Mother Tamil the ceremony was to begin at 1715 hrs.
A galaxy of Tamil scholars lined up in front of sanctum sanctorum of the temple with the 12 ft. statue of Mother Tamil centered in.

At 1715 the othuvaar began singing Ulagam Yaavaiyum... an invocation song by poet Kamban.
It was followed by panchapuraanam.

Six scholars were garlanded by the organizers.
Then, it was the turn for the othuvaar. He garlanded me first. Then he took a light green silk shawl and wound it around my head. It was pari vaddam, the head gear to honour the special guest. Usually this is the format to indicate the most important person in a temple ceremony.

With me in the centre, Swami on my right and Kambam Adisoodi Pazha Pazhaniappan on my left, the procession began from the temple to the stage. A decorated banner in silk preceded us.  There was naathaswaram and thavil. Little girls lined up with flower baskets to shower flowers at us as the procession slowly moved.

We went to the stage. A seat was marked for me along with the Swami at the centre of the stage. Many other scholars sat on both sides.

The hall was packed. The chairs were neatly arranged. Men women and children sat, disciplined. It was like a convocation hall.

Ceremony began with prayers. We stood up.
Then there was a music programme lasting 15 minutes by the students from Naratha Ghana Sabha, Chennai, singing in five panns.

I took off the pari vaddam and the garland.

 A series of speakers one after the other offered felicitations to me. They used choicest Tamil words to praise the work I have done to promote thirumurai.

Three books, one on Kamban, one on Silambu and another on Kamban Adipodi Saa. Ganesan were released.

Then came the occasion when I was called to be felicitated. I was standing. Swamiji came to me. Others stood up and lined the stage.

There was a jarikai bordered silk shawl. It was neatly placed on my shoulders.
Then there was a head gear or thalaippakai (in jarikai and silk, with pearl like beads decorating with a flowing tail piece) placed ceremoniously on my head while flowers were showering, released mechanically from a top pan in the stage. The audience stood up for a prolonged ovation. I was then presented with a glass plaque, mounted on wood, written about my contribution to thirumurai

Swami spoke. He listed my services to Tamil, Science, Saivaisim and thirumurai.

I gave the acceptance speech.

Thereafter, Kambam Adisoodi Pazha Pazhaniappan proposed a vote of thanks, where amongst other things he mentioned,  Pinjakan with whom he is familiar. Pinjakan visited Karaikudi for the Kamban Vizha once with Eswaran Maama.

We were at a dinner, where traditional vegetarian chettinad cuisine was served in large plantain leaves.

No comments: